HONORARY BOARD MEMBER:
DR. ABDULLOJON ORIFOV
Former Member of Parliament, Former Head of the Tax Committee under the Government of Tajikistan
Professor Orifov was born in the village of Rumon in 1941 and graduated with a degree in economics from Tajik State University in 1963. He began his professional career as an economist at an agricultural enterprise in the rural Mastchoh district before continuing his graduate studies at Tajik State University. Having earned the distinction of Candidate of Economic Sciences in 1970, he went on to receive his doctoral degree in economics from Leningrad State University (current Saint-Petersburg State University) in 1986 and was awarded professorship in 1987. He served as Senior Lecturer, Assistant Professor, Professor, Dean, and Vice-President of Tajik State University throughout his tenure from 1966 until 1991. Following the breakup of the Soviet Union, he was appointed as Head of Apparatus, First Deputy Head, and then as Head of the Tax Committee under the Government of the Republic of Tajikistan (1992-1996), and has been credited with co-authoring Tajikistan’s contemporary tax code.
Consequently, he worked as Vice-President of Tajik State University of Law, Business & Politics (1996-2000) before getting elected as a Member of Parliament in 2000 from electoral constituency #13 in Khujand. Serving in the Assembly of Representatives (i.e. lower house) of Supreme Assembly, he led the Committee on Commerce, Budget, Finance and Tax and initiated the reform of Tajikistan’s fiscal policymaking oversight. Concluding his parliamentary term in 2005, he returned to the academia and has since been working as a department chair and member of dissertation council at Tajik State University of Law, Business & Politics.
A world-renown scholar, Professor Orifov has written and co-authored over 800 academic publications including books, papers, articles, and manuscripts. He has travelled to 35 countries on state and academic visits and has read lectures at universities in the Russian Federation, United States, Italy, Canada, Mexico, Austria, Turkey, Czech Republic and Cuba. Having devoted his entire career to promotion of greater opportunities for students, he considers this project strategically important in improving Tajikistan’s education system. He was appointed as an Honorary Member of TajRupt's Board of Directors in September 2016.
Distinguished Honors & Awards:
• Doctor of Economic Sciences, Leningrad State University (Saint-Petersburg State University)
• Academician of Pedagogical Sciences, Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Tajikistan
• Corresponding Member, International Academy of Science and Higher Education
• Rank of Advisor-General, Tax Committee under the Government of the Republic of Tajikistan
• State Prize of Bobojon Gafurov, Government of the Republic of Tajikistan
• Excellence in Public Teaching Award, Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Tajikistan
• Excellence in Higher Education of the USSR Award, Ministry of Education of the USSR